The mission of the Watauga Humane Society is to provide the following:
- A well-equipped and appropriately staffed facility where the citizens of Watauga County can bring unwanted and abandoned animals;
- Relief of suffering among animals;
- Provisions for food, shelter, medical care, and love to homeless animals while they await permanent homes;
- Assistance with control of unwanted animals by offering low-cost spay/neuter services;
- Education to the public about responsible animal ownership and care.
A grant from Grey Muzzle helps Watauga Humane Society with the senior dog portion of their Adoption Boosters program, including preventative care, medical care, spay/neuter, food, fee waivers, reduced adoption fees, senior discounts, and regular double discounts on senior pets for senior citizens.
By providing a thorough wellness assessment, blood work, local spay/neuter surgery, dental cleaning and extractions, special food appropriate for the individual dog size, weight, and condition, and sometimes minor surgeries like removal of a cherry eye, they are able to help the dog and alleviate the public's concerns. When senior dogs look and feel their best, their health needs are addressed, and they can speak knowledgeably with the public about the dog, seniors are just as adoptable as any other dog. And, best of all, the adopter goes home ready to enjoy their dog, confident of the dog's condition, and any dietary needs addressed. This reduces "adopters remorse" and subsequent returns and decreases length of stay.